[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Elevation Data

> I have noticed that the IMO/NAMN meteor recording form does not
> include a place to record meteor elevation information. Isn't this
> important to help determine the absolute magnitude of meteors for
> magnitude distribution studies?

The main purpose of magnitude distributions is to find the right correction for
limiting magnitudes different from 6.5 when calculating ZHRs. The loss of
meteors when observing at lm<6.5 has to be compensated by a shower-specific
population index. As we have to correct what the observers sees, we should not
apply absolute magnitudes. This is naturally only true if one observer's ZHR is
calculated with "his own" population index derived from that night. Or it may
only be true when having large-sample averages.

The elevation may be helpful when calculating the real mass index within the
stream. I have not digged into the formulae to find out whether this is
considered. It seems all this is getting very complicated when done precisely.
So I think your elevation notes can be helpful when studying these effects and
would encourage you to note them unless you start plotting.

Rainer