[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Elevation Data

Stop Light Pollution! <GLIBA@grossc.gsfc.nasadot gov> mentioned:
>I found with practice that it is pretty easy. You simply estimate the elevation
>of the meteor seen when you make a magnitude determination.

This is also a good start down the road to plotting for beginners. I'll try to
note elevations during future count sessions. Thanks for mentioning it, George!

bafb4@central.susx.acdot uk (Neil Bone) replied:
>How about the effect of the twilight arch on perrsistent train durations

Neil, good point regarding azimuth as well as elevation effects. Some summer
constellations are quite extensive however. Would a simple compass point (WNW,
SSE, etc) be useful instead, in addition to standard elevation estimate? Or
perhaps a "nearest star" estimate, a la satellite observations?

Again, I get the impression this is NOT necessary (or recommended) for beginning
observers. Still, it sounds like it might be worth noting on slower nights...

Lew

Follow-Ups: References: