[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Elevation Data

Estimating meteor elevation is easy, but if you do elevation it would seem
that azimuth would be necessary too. That's why I suggested constellations.
 Again some constellations are very large.  But if you are doing a serious
count, it must be from a fairly active major shower. With lots of meteors,
the rates will dictate a resultant average that shouldn't be too far off for
estimates. I think the major question is whether it's worth recording for
major showers.  And if you are doing minor shower work, you need to plot.  If
you are plotting, you don't need to estimate meteor elevations. As for making
the nearest star estimates...you are making your meteor magnitude estimates
based on the nearby star magnitudes in the first place.  Also if you did this
on a major shower, you can become swamped in short order.
George Z.