[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) June 11/12 Draconids

Well,  as to the possible Draconid radiant for June 11/12, 1996.  Last nite I
reviewed my data quite closely.  The following is what I got out of it: I
have a total of 9 meteors out of 48 that comes close enough to a radiant near
Draco.  All meteors were very fast except one.  I listed it as slow, but it
was very short and very close to the radiant so I still included it as a
possibility.  Two of the 9 meteors were too long in relation to it's distance
from the radiant so that leaves 7 to be considered.  These 7 all had proper
velocities and path lengths to radiant relationships.  5 of these intersected
a tight radiant while the other 2 missed the tight radiant by about 5
degrees.  Both of these meteors were a relative long distance from the
radiant...so I still consider them as within tolerance to the possible
radiant members.  The 5 "tight" radiant meteors were within 4 degrees of each
other.  My final radiant position is:  RA: 274 deg,  Dec +54 deg.  Whether
the radiant is real or concidence, it will probably take a few years of
diligent observations to bring it to a conclusion.

Also on June 11/12, I plotted 3 meteors that very much appear to be June
Lyrids.  Two are very short and close to the radiant.  I personally believe
that there may be life for the June Lyrids.

Two nites before on June 9/10, I've recorded 2 possible Draconids out of 27
meteors. I still have to look over my data for the nite of June 8/9.  I will
be out there observing tonight...Maybe see more "Lyrids"?...or Draconids?
George Z.