[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Small meteor outburst on June 15/16 1996

Marco,

The Xi Draconids are apparently coming from the same radiant that Lunsford
and I were  talking about for June 11/12.  I did observe on the night of June
15/16 for 5.39 hours.  Period covers essentially 4h55-11h27UT.  I recorded 37
meteors.  Of these I have only 3  that would be considered xi Draconids.
 I've observed no outburst however. My best nite for these critters is still
on June 11/12 with at best 7 members during 5.79 hours Teff.  Period of
observations were 5h00-11h30UT. I finished my reports for the nites of June
8/9, 9/10, 11/12, and 15/16.  For June 8/9 with 6.02 Teff hrs. I have 2
possible xi Draconids out of 24 meteors plotted.  For June 9/10, with 6.04
Teff hrs, I have 3 possible xi Draconids out of 27 meteors plotted. I think
there is something there, but very weak. On the nite of June 11/12, I had two
other meteors that lined up with the xi draconid radiant, but I eliminated
these as possible members due to their path length relationship to the
radiant was too far off to be considered related.  Does anybody know if there
is any records of xi Draconids around this time with radiants near RA 274,
Dec. +54 for me and RA: 280, Dec +53 For Lunsford on the nite of June 11/12?
 I just thumbed thru Kronks "Meteor Showers: A Descriptive Catalog" and seen
no mentioning of these. Perhaps next year we ought to make some effort to
observe around this period for these guys and see if they have any staying
power?...or are real and not coincidence?

George Z.