[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) halitosis vs. mosquitoes

Lew,

I just told my wife about the chewing garlic tablet trick to ward off
mosquitos.  I asked her if she ever heard of this...She is a back packing
guru and knows all the tricks to the trade...she's even a back packing
instructor to instructors.  (A "side bar" is warranted here.  My wife back
packs about twice per month somewhere either with a back packing group or
girl scouts.  Me not fussing over this allows me the privilege to go out
observing with only minor hassling. ) She said she knows about the garlic
trick, but you have to start eating these things or taking the tablets about
2 weeks ahead of time to let your body build it up internally.  She says that
in order for it to work, you must smell like garlic.  She has tried it and it
does work, but it isn't worth smelling like garlic all the time. She did
suggest taking "dryer sheets" that you throw in with clothes in a dryer.
...such as "Bounce" and other brand names that I don't know about.  Anyhow,
she says to pin a couple of these around your shoulders and hat and it drives
them nuts...and away. I might give it a try...when I observe near mosquito
infested areas.  Normally where I observe, mosquitos are a minor
problem...only after the first hour after sunset for most nights.  On some
Summer nites there may be a couple solitary mosquitos that will pester me.
 They seem to like Bob better than me.  It's usually a game when we get one
pesky little booger between the two of us to shoo it over to the other fella.
It might be worth the effort to try some of these.  On the sly, I might start
eating garlic on a regular basis during the month of August just to get ready
for the Perseids. My wife also says that you ought to avoid Blue and Black
colored clothing...even at nite since these colors attract mosquitos because
of their resembling water.  She also suggested finding a breezy area that
will blow them away...  This sounds like something I'll have to elaborate a
little more and fire off to my NAMN people. I hope this helps some of you
mosquito proned folks out there?
George Z.