[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd from jrendtel@aipdot de Re: meteors from Draco

------- Forwarded Message
From: Juergen Rendtel <jrendtel@aipdot de>
Subject: meteors from Draco
To: imo-news@tu-chemnitzdot de
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 96 8:37:00 METDST

After the various messages about meteors radiating from
Draco, I also checked my plots done during the recent nights.
Unfortunately, we had clouds just in the night 15/16 June.

June Period UT  T_eff  total  candidates from Draco
10   2154-2336  1.65h     6   2 (1 of the trails may be too long)
12   2300-0012  1.15      7   2, but both with quite long trails for the rad.
13   2200-0003  2.00     19   3
14   2235-0007  1.50      9   2
16   2256-0013  1.25     10   1

All observations from 13 deg E, 52.4 deg N

The long trails mentioned in the table indicate that these meteors
are rather from a more eastern radiant. I do not know of previous
observations of this possible shower. But remember that the June-Lyrids
also caused a short-lived activity, and we do not record any detectable
rates now. If there were not the enhanced rate on June 15, this could
also be a chance alignment, particularly since the radiant position
is almost overhead and we found similar effects with the `alpha Cygnids'
some time ago. It would be nice if we could collect as many plottings
(and other recordings, if available) for this period in order to make
a more detailed analysis.

Conclusion: it is worth observing every clear, moonless night - one
never knows what will happen.

Juergen
Juergen Rendtel           jrendtel@aipdot de
Gontardstr. 11