[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Xi Draconids

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

If you recall in my initial report the average velocity for this shower
was only 14 degrees per second. The scale range for this method of
determining velocity is 0 to 38, so at 14 it appears that the shower
members I observed were not excessively swift. A majority of the
meteors lasted 4/10 of a second. 4/10 would be considered slightly
faster than average while 6/10 would be considered slightly slower than
average. Although 4/10 of a second sounds fast, short meteors with this
duration can yield a low ESTIMATED velocity. Most of the Xi Draconids
were short, giving the VISUAL IMPRESSION that they were fast.

As for these meteors being spurious alignments, I totally disagree.
George and I independently determined the radiant position of this
shower.  All I said during the observing session on the 12th that there
seems to be some activity coming from the area of the western "wingtip"
of Cygnus. We parted at twilight and came up with our own independent
conclusions later that day. George and I may have slightly different
opinions as to velocity, but to have the determined radiants be so
close proves to me that this was for real.

Bob Lunsford