From: trond.erik.hillestad@fof.kog.no (Trond Erik Hillestad)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 19:57:52 +0200
To: imo-news@tu-chemnitzdot de
Subject: Correlation sunspot activity - meteor rates ?

Since the 1940's, or thereabout, several scientist has pointed out the
possible correlation between meteor rates and the solar cycle, i.e. the
number of meteors is higher during solar minimum.  This could be caused
by the Earth's atmosphere, which grows and shrinks during the same cycle.
The increased number of meteors are claimed to have been observed both
visually and by radar.

I really don't know much more about this phenomenon, since I am a humble
amateur and with no access to a big library.  I would be very thankful
if you can help me answer the following questions:

   1) Has any research been carried out recently, within the last
      10-30 years, that could help to verify or falsify the
      apparently good correlation with the solar cycle ?

   2) Can you point me to specific literature that describe
      recent studies ?

Thank you,
Trond,
Norwegian Meteor Section