[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Southern Fireball Rates

Hi all

I've been away on business for a while, so my input on the above is a bit
late.  Anyway, thought you might be interested in my stats.

Since 1992 when I took over the Comet and Meteor Section here I have
received the following fireball reports per year (magnitude distribution in
brackets):

1992 = 3 reports [-6(1); -4(2)]
1993 = 4 reports [-4(2); uncertain(2)]
1994 = 6 reports [-13(1); -6(1); -4(2); -3(2)]
1995 = 6 reports [-6(2); -4(2); -3(1); uncertain(1)]
1996 = 3 reports to date [-5(2); -3(1)]

I am busy putting together an analysis of all South African reports for our
local journal, but at this stage I conclude that we cannot confirm high
fireball rates or high percentages of very bright events. In the 4.5 years
we have had 22 sightings, mostly by reliable reporters, with only one event
brighter than -6. I don't agree with a fireball type shower at these
latitudes.  If one exists then I have missed it.  Our reports are from
latitudes -25 to -34.

I doubt the incidence of fireballs is higher in the southern than the
northern hemisphere, but that's just an opinion, further investigation is
needed.

Tim Cooper