[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Sandia Report /pt 2--dust

>I will finish with this thought: There doesn't appear to be an
>*instantaneous* North American fireball reporting agency.

Tom, there used to be SEAN who took reports, but they "expired" and turned
over everything to IMO's FIDAC. Still, there is a definite ability to report
fireballs almost instantaneously. To me it seems this would have to rest on
the shoulders of meteor observers, as relying on the public to collect the
data properly in most cases would not work. This leads me to a couple of
questions concerning the plane you mentioned:

1. Is there a geographical area they would want to restrict themselves to?
2. Is there a "faintest" magnitude fireball they would go after?
3. Who is their responsible person? can ALPO or NAMN, or IMO on an
international scale, or yourself, act as an official contact with their
person? I'm sure they don't want to begin receiving reports from around the
globe, so if the meteor observing community is to help out, this would have
to be worked out.

>If a fireball was identified and plotted extremely well, maybe the best bet
>would be to contact the North American IMO as soon as possible...?

By North American IMO do you mean Peter Brown?

---
Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net