[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: extra-ordinary fireball events

<< Subj:	Re: extra-ordinary fireball events
 Date:	96-07-08 11:48:05 EDT
 From:	zolensky@snmail.jsc.nasadot gov
 To:	GeoZay@aoldot com

      Hello
      The planes fly over N. America, mainly the US and Alaska.  They move
      around their base of operations, and we would just have to see if they
      are near any particular fireball - so this would only work if they
      happened to be within 1,000 km of a fireball at a given time.
      We are looking for fairly bright events, ones that the military record
      from satellite - this means one of the 10 or so brightest in any given
      year, whatever that means in actual magnitude.
      As for how long after the event it is worth collecting - that will
      depend upon how high the cloud is.  We collect at 20km altitude.
      Probably the cloud is drifting down from 50 to 20 km, somewhere in
      there.  So we have a few days at least for the higher clouds.  Can you
      tell anything regarding altitude for your sightings?
      Mike Z

--------
Well, above is the reply I got from Mike zolensky pertaining to the NASA
program of recovering fireball dust via high flying aircraft.  Sounds like
within the realm of possibilities if we have a "few days" to get our reports
to them.  I'll be making a few more suggestions to him and see what he has to
say.  I will forward to the list any responses.
George Z.