[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Is Hale-Bopp source of Quadrantids?

<< no comet is yet known for the Quadrantids, is
 there any possibility that Hale Bopp may be the source, if it has made
 other appearences?Accord >>
--------

Whoa hoss!

I was gonna email you the article from WGN about the Hale Bopp and Quadrantid
relationship, but I some how lost it during one of my many computer
crashes...I just discovered this as I was trying to send it to you.  Anyhow,
at the end of the article it says this: "However, soon after the comet now
known as 96P /Macholz 1 was discovered, that comet was recognized as being
the likely parent of the Quadrantids along with seven other showers".
..."including the Daytime Arietids, the delta aquarids, and the
Ursids...."The coincidence of dates between the epoch of the Quadrantid
shower and the time when the earth passes thru the orbital plane of comet
Hale Bopp is of no physical significance, and I very much doubt that there is
any genetic link between them.  Even if that comet were the parent of the
shower, one should not anticipate any storm, or even enhancement in shower
activity...The two are unrelated phenomena"....blah, blah, blah etc. Those
excerpts were from the October 1995 WGN edition written by Duncan Steel.

I hope this clarifies things a little?
George Z.