[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireballs and Debris

>>>.. Still, it would be great if one of
the zillion satellite prediction programs out there could be easily adapted
to  predicting decays: this would be a good first check before one of us
reported a  bolide to the Right Stuff Team out in Houston. Should we
cross-post this to the  seesat-l list, do you think? Sounds like this would
be up their alley.....<<<

Lew and everyone,

I post questions on "how to distinguish various fireballs"  periodically on
the satellite network. I have one posted today actually and here is an
initial response from someone:

> Question 2:     I am looking for visual ways to distinguish natural
> meteoric fireballs from re-entering man-made debris fireballs. Does
>anyone know references for this information?

response:>>>....just basing on my experiences as a range rat seeing tankage
burning up following a warhead in, the manmade stuff usually is a very
bright blue with lots of scattered pieces due to the different densities of
the
materials, makes quite a shower upon breakup. I guess the blue comes from
the use of magnesium, aluminum and steel, the warheads glowed simular to
the shuttle reentry due to the heat shields.....<<<

It would be great if someone has already written on this subject.  In the
Levy-Edberg book on meteors (don't know the title) there is one paragraph
or so on re-entering debris but I don't think it is addressed very well.

As to decay prediction software: I believe it exists. There are at least
three prediction experts on see-sat-L and it is interesting to follow decay
forecasts.  It seems to be sort of of contest as to who can predict the
most accurately.

Unfortunately, I am underpowered in the computing department (still running
a Mac Classic) so can't play with satellite orbits.

But it would be benficial if someone had satellite software so as to be
able to run the large decay prediction elements. This would instantly
confirm or rule out the bigger debris fireballs.

Haven't heard back from Mike at NASA as yet. They go to professional
meetings and such.    I will report when I hear more.

Clear skies,
Tom Ashcraft