[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Report of a Very Bright Fireball

<< Subj:	Report of a Very Bright Fireball
 Date:	96-07-09 22:36:56 EDT
 From:	JHRUTTEN
 To:	GeoZay
 CC:	MeteorObs@charlestondot net

 Date:  July 09, 1996
 Time:  03:32 UT
 Location 42 Degrees 3 Minutes 54.40 Seconds Latitude
                91 Degrees 39 Minutes 48.7 Seconds long (GPS Coord)
 Apparent Path:  Initiated in Andromeda, Cephus, Draco, Ursa Minor, Nose of
Ursa Major, dissipated (dissappeared) in LEO
 Highest elevation was 3 degrees below Polarius.

 Apparent Magnitude:  -8 the trail alone was (-3 -4)  I was observing Jupiter
at the time and had just turned around to lool for my dog when it happened.
 I had a good reference on the magnitude

 Persistent Train:  Smoke train lasted 8 seconds +- 1.  The trail was at one
point glowing the whole length of the meteor trail.

 Velocity:  Slow 1/4 the speed of August Geminids.

 Duration:  At least 3 seconds
 Colors:  Blue, White sparkles, transitioned to red and then blue haze.
 Fragmentation:  Non observed.
 Sounds:  3 low sonic booms more like space shuttle pops.
 Observers:  James Rutten, Colleen Rutten Robins IA,  Doug Slauson Family
Swisher IA.

------
Mike,

Here is one of those fireballs that you might be interested in already...the
low sonic boom is the give away...I noticed on this mornings bulletin board
that a bright fireball was sighted over Chicago as well.  They didn't give
much info, but I assume it could be the same object as well.  The 3 low sonic
booms tells me that this got down to at least 30 miles along it's trajectory
somewhere.
George Zay
GeoZay@aoldot com