[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireball Reporting

<< My father once observed an exploding fireball sometime in the 1950s and
 he said it made a crackling sound as it came apart.

 Larry

Larry,
This sounds like an Electrophonic type noise...a whole different topic...This
noise is supposedly produced by some form of electromagnetic means...I'm not
too convinced this is a real effect just yet...I lean more towards it being a
psychological creation...that is it sounded something like the observer
expected to hear.  If they are real and indeed electrophonic, then they
probably could occur anywhere during their entrance in the atmosphere at
almost any reasonable altitude.  As to selecting meteors to have a NASA plane
go up after  particles, I think it would be best to be selective to those
sightings that would have a reasonable degree of success...namely those that
would at least make it low enough for an airplane to encounter.  The sonic
boom that accompanies certain large fireballs is in affect an altitude
signature that shouldn't be ignored for these purposes...

Oh!  We just had a very heavy down pour...Big Bertha didn't jump coastlines
did she?
I still can't figure out the source of this rain..dot it's not on the weather
channel...yet!
George Z.