[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Distinguishing Fireballs

<< >Question 2:     I am looking for visual ways to distinguish natural
 >meteoric fireballs from re-entering man-made debris fireballs. Does anyone
 >know references for this information?
 >Tom Ashcraft

-----
Tom,

Unless you know for sure that a certain man made debris is coming down over
your location...such as Sky Lab etc. I would record any apparent fireball as
a meteor fireball until it's determined otherwise.  If the fireball is of any
significant size to reach sonic boom producing levels, There is a number to
reach for the Dept of Defense that will go thru their satellite tapes to
search records for significant fireball sightings. These would have to be
rather large sightings and you must make the request I believe within 10
days...lest these tapes are erased. FIDAC gets this kind of info from
them...but I don't know if they will search for individuals?  FIDAC lists a
phone number to contact if you have any questions about a certain fireball of
significance..dot it's Senior Airman Amy Webb, Air Force Technical Applications
Center Public Affairs at 1-407-494-4403.  There is no email address that I
can find...but perhaps anyone interested might ought to start with Senior
Airman Amy Webb and see what she can do for you?
George Z.