[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Organized Plotting

George, thanx for the tips...(I'm sure Lew will thank you too). When I
build my observing coffin, this will give me some ideas as to how to
arrange things. I'm learning a lot as I plot more and more about how to
organize things. I was really bamfloozled last night when a meteor shot
down below the Pleides, and I couldn't figure out which chart it was on. I
think I'm going to enclose it in a ZayCircle (TM) like the little groups in
Aquarius!
Wayne
-------------
Original Text
From GeoZay@aoldot com, on 7/11/96 2:51 PM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

<< Of course I realize that this problem is just an artefact of my using
the
tape
 recorder in concert with my plotting, but I've gotten so attached to the
little
 doohickey that I find it hard to log meteors any other way! :> Also,
between

 finding the right chart, finding the pen, and fiddling with the
straight-edge, I
 have trouble enough keeping my dead-times down! :)

 Clear skies,
 Lew

------

Lew,

I was re-reading some old postings to see if there were anything that I've
missed and wanted to address...I noticed you once mentioned about having
trouble finding everything in the dark to do the job of plotting...well, I
sorta take this for granted now, since I made up a plotting board..dot it's
essentially a large clip board...with two clips.  Try visualizing a board
that's about 2 feet wide and about 1 foot long.  I took two clips from  old
clip boards and mounted them side by side at the top...spaced out though
where the clips will hold two separate groups of paper.  The clip on my
left
is where I keep my plotting charts with them in sequence as to where I look
in the sky or what will come into view as the sky moves as I sit
stationary.
 On top of these charts I keep my protractor or 6 inch ruler...these are
all
held into place by the clip on the left side....On the right side, I keep
several "field sheets" as I call them.  All I write on these are the
pertinent meteor data or LM info...or even my camera start/stop times etc.
 Okay on top of these charts, I also installed a thick clear piece of
plastic
that will cover the top of the whole board (protects the papers from dew).
On
the right hand side clip I have my pencil being held there as well.  This
whole clip board arrangement is on my lap while I observe.  I pretty much
know where everything is at...In my hands I have my parachute cord looped
around my thumbs at the ready to align with any sighted meteors.  In my
right
hand I have a stop watch ready to trigger if a fireball is sighted.  This
allows me to concentrate on the pertinent meteor data and do everything I
need to do for however long it is.  When the exact time is ready, I simply
look at my watch and note the seconds and time at the same time I stop the
stop watch.  I write the time down and add the time that has passed from
the
stop watch as a time that I will have to subtract from the time I wrote
down
from my wristwatch later. OH!  my left hand is holding the bulb to an air
actuated cable release to my camera that I'm trying to capture meteor
spectra
with...If you can utilize my method in anyway, perhaps what I do will
help?...or scare?
George Z.