[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Photographed -4 Fireball

Well,

I just developed my film for last night...apparently I photographed a -4
fireball in it's entirety...I think it might be a Sagittarid?  I haven't
looked at it close yet.  However, I had my rotating shutter going and it
chopped  up nicely.  I had an RPM of 2,600 according to my strobe light...I
haven't counted the breaks yet, but a rough estimate would be about 20.  The
RPM's was a little faster than normal...usually hangs around 2100.  Anyhow,
this wasn't a very fast meteor and it looks like there is no problem with it.
 The meteor produced a nice flare.  My only real concern about the image was
that I had a longer exposure than I really wanted...about 38 minutes.  I was
on my way to advance the film via a potty break when the fireball appeared.
If I skipped the potty break I would probably caught it on a fresh
frame...but the stars aren't too badly trailed...actually shorter than I
thought they would be for a relatively long guided camera...they look to be
just starting to trail some.  I did have another suspicious capture looking
like a meteor...but no chops seen...so it must have been an aircraft? It also
doesn't match anything I recorded.
My next observing nights will probably be on July 13/14, 15/16 and 16/17...on
the 14th I will be working...thus another Zombie day. later.
George Z.