[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Instant clouds

I posted this to both meteors and astroweather, looking for comments on a
phenomona that happed last night, which I have noticed before. I left the
observatory where I spent several hours meteor observing. On the way out by
the way, Venus and the crescent moon (well lit by earthshine) wer a
striking sight, rising in the east. Anyhow, back to the point, the sky was
clear at this point, with a LM of about 5.5...pretty good for this area in
summertime. In the space of the 3 minutes it took me to drive home the sky
became nearly overcast. A layer of stratocumulus had formed..probably
around 4000 ft cloud base (1300 Meters). At other times in  previous events,
 I have observed fog/haze/ low stratus clouds form in 5 minutes time when
the ground air reached dew point (easy to do in summer when skies are clear
and dew point hovers near or above 70 degrees F (21 C).
	So the question is, do you observe this in your area? How often? How
fast,a nd at what height have you seen clouds form. I'd like to collect
some data, so would appreciate an e-mail, or if appropriate a post to
astroweather-sne@latradedot com any time this occurs. Thanx, and hope it
doesn't happen too often to any of us :-)
	Oh, and to you western *mountain desert * guys, George and Bob, your
situation is a bit different. I know George usually comments when the
marine layer rolls in..this is a little different, although info on that is
welcome too. This is  actual form in place clouds, not a *moving in* event.
Thanx to all,
WeatherWayne, into Meteorology and Meteor - ology! and can that be
confusing, although it means that something interesting is always going on.
PS hope Mark's OK!