[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Instant clouds

<< 	Oh, and to you western *mountain desert * guys, George and Bob, your
 situation is a bit different. I know George usually comments when the
 marine layer rolls in..this is a little different, although info on that is
 welcome too. This is  actual form in place clouds, not a *moving in* event.
 Thanx to all,
 WeatherWayne, into Meteorology and Meteor - ology! and can that be
 con >>
---------
Wayne,

Usually while observing we are plagued by large fog banks that will
periodically roll in from the coast and up the mountain slopes...this sloshes
over us sometimes, but usually drains back out to the coast...very much
resembling the action of water...I even once watched fog cascade down an old
dry creek bed to resemble a water falls in Yosemite...but I have noticed on
occasions the clouds forming right above our heads...usually with the
approach of a major storm...though sometimes small areas just do this for
apparent mean-ness ...I guess?  If the marine layer is deeper than normal, we
are forced to try to get above it...that is abandon the observatory and head
higher up to at least 2 pre arranged road side areas that sometimes buys us a
little time...but usually though when the marine layer is deeper than normal,
this means it's going to cover the highest of our local mountains...about
5600 feet.  My observing site is at 3,311 feet and our two alternative
roadside areas are 4,200 and 5,000 ft respectively...Sometimes I observe out
in the desert beyond the mountains and it's clearer there, but that is a lot
of driving...only do this for special nights where we have no choice...or
when I'm with the wife on one of her back packing trips that I get roped into
sometimes during the winter months.
George Z.