[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing on July 13/14

Well,

I think last night was the beginning of high rates again...in a little less
than 6 hours I recorded 56 meteors...plotted 54 of those rascals.  There
seems to be a lot of very fast meteors out last night...I haven't looked at
my plots to see if anything interesting is materializing, but activity is
definitely up all of a sudden. I saw at least 6 Sagittarids along with a few
possible Alpha Capriconids maybe...If I got any Pegasids they were few and
far between again I will have to take a look at my plots. The brightest was a
nice -2 something that was hauling buns. I don't think I photographed
it...but possible.  I may have photographed a -1 that was also going pretty
fast.  Again I had my rotating shutter operating...To give an example of RPM
fluctuations...at the beginning of my watch the RPM was 2600 determined by
the stroboscope...then around 2 am it was at 1400...then at quitting time it
was back up to 2500.  I checked it about 6 times last night...each time after
each possible meteor capture.  This is no real problem as long as I check the
RPM's after each possible capture to "fine tune" the RPM.

Thanks Marco for the instructions about the disc drive rotating shutter...but
to tell the truth, I prefer AC current since it is available...I don't want
to carry any more car batteries around if I don't have to.  Is 12 RPM's a
little too slow? Seems like to me that you might also be able to chop up an
airplane landing lights and some brite satellites?
George Z.