[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) a 7/11 fireball....

A couple notes turned up on sci.astro.amateur regarding a fireball
on7/11. Thought it might of interest to those
who didn't see the meassage..........................

Gregg

sci.astro.amateur
[4] Fireball!
thornton@xmissiondot com

Thursday 11 July on a flyfishing trip near Boise Idaho while sitting

around a campfire looking for satelites we observed a "fireball"
moving
in a roughly east to west trajectory that was of an order of
magnitude
of hundreds of times larger and brighter than any meteor I have ever

witnessed. The tail filled at least half of the sky and lasted about
half second.  It was wide and trailing debris which I have never seen

before.  It was near midnight MST.  I don't know if a meteor can be
seen
from these two different locations, but I fits some of your
description.
I would appreciate your comments by e-mail at thornton@xmissiondot com

Thanks   Rogersci.astro.amateur
[4] Fireball!
cjred@ixdot netcomdot com(Carolyn

Roger, we were near Bend, Oregon (also on a flyfishing trip! : ) )
We
had a 6" Dobsonian with us, and took it out to view Jupiter. We also
witnessed the meteor that you saw from Boise. It was much larger
than
any that I've ever witnessed, and had an almost "glowing" appearance,

rather than the bright streak we normally see. I would like to read
comments from others that may have witnessed this one.
Regards,
Carolyn Burton