[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: rotating shutters

<< In particular there were the descriptions of George and Lew of using an
unregulated rotating
 shutter and measuring the true speed whenever a meteor appears. This is of
course a very
 practical solution: it is easy to get it going and any indication of the
angular velocity of the meteor
 is better than nothing!  On the long run, however, it should be worthwile to
look for a more reliable
 solution (which also works whenever a fireball appears during a nap :-) ).
You can look then in two
 directions:

--------
Marc,

I get the impression that your rotating shutter determines the meteor's
appearance automatically...is this true?  If so how is this done?...I can
look in any direction or take a nap, but I have no way of knowing the exact
appearance time unless I'm looking. If I turn the guidance off, the camera
will be an unguided camera and It can run all night...but I wouldn't know
when any meteors would appear...this I understand is a very important bit of
information. I feel the system or method I have is very reliable in the sense
that once I see a potential fireball capture, I check the RPM's with a
stroboscope within a few minutes of the sighting. I then feel rather
confident about the true RPM's and not wonder later if the motor slowed down
for any reason. There is no real problem to my system...sense I do this
periodically when I advance my film after about every 25 minutes.
George Z.