[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: rotating shutters

Hi George,

>I get the impression that your rotating shutter determines the meteor's
>appearance automatically...is this true?  If so how is this done?

No, I mean just the rotating shutter. When you do not see the bright meteor you either need a
guided exposure or someone else who has seen it. Some people used one time very special
shutter blades whose open/close ratio varied during the exposure allowing to derive the time of
appearance. I have no idea how these were made. In The Netherlands we use light detection
systems with a photomultiplier tube to record the time of appearance (for our small fireball patrol
network). With a small tube the limiting magnitude for meteors is about -2. Unfortunately it is quite
a lot of work to construct such a PMT system.

Marc

Marc de Lignie
Prins Hendrikplein 42                        Tel. +31 (70) 320 5673
NL-2264 SN  Leidschendam            Fax. +31 (70) 332 6477
The Netherlands                                E-mail: mcdelign@pidot net

Predicted progress always fails. Real progress is all the small
steps you realize to have made when looking back in time.