[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Avoiding Incendiary Posts

Folks, to keep the volume of discussions down as close as possible to normal
conversational tones on the meteorobs, I'd suggest the following:

	Whenever you feel personally offended by ANYTHING someone says
	in a post to the 'meteorobs' list, STRONGLY consider doing one
	of the following things, rather than posting an incendiary re-
	sponse to that person and igniting a flame war on 'meteorobs':

	1. Consider replying via JUST personal email if at all possible!!
	2. Write your response, but then leave it on your computer,
	   unsent, for at least 24 hours. Then, if you reread it, and if
	   it still says what you want to say as well as possible, send it!
	3. If you do decide to respond via the 'meteorobs' list, keep
	   in mind that many people will read your response, and so
	   try to remove anything from it which sounds like just your
	   own venting of emotions. Also, consider how you;d feel if
	   someone sent that message to YOU on a public forum.
	4. If you simply HAVE to write an incendiary response to some-
	   one, please put a special indicator in your Subject line,
	   to tell folks that this may be an inflammatory thread.
	   Something like: "FLAME ON: to the jerk who posted Re: ...".

Thanks, and Help Keep our Mailing List Clean. ;>
Lew