[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Early Perseids?

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

Gary,

I understand the skepticism about Perseids being seen this early. What
the heck are we seeing then? I am seeing 2-5 swift meteors per hour all
this week from a compact radiant located along the radiant drift line
produced by the IMO. Could this be another shower? Not likely. Shower
members seen before July 17 will probably be classified by the IMO as
sporadic. I will list them as Perseids in my records until I hear a
better idea.

I can also verify the radiant seen by George near Eta Persei on the
17th. It was nearly as active as the predicted Perseid radiant but
shower members did not appear until Perseus was well up in the sky,
after 2 AM.  Has anyone else seen these meteors on or near this date?

Bob Lunsford