[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) OBS Medford MA 190930 OVC (100% Cu,St,?) 70F W-SW/4-7G15 R:0"

100% cloud cover.
St covering 90%, heading rapidly NE.
Cu intermittently visible over whole sky, heading E?.
As or Sc? also glimpsed in breaks.

[11:30, downtown Boston: lifting and brightening apparent, OVC still 100%.]

LAST NIGHT was a great demonstration of how handy the astroweather list can (and
could) be! While other observers were reporting "-SCT" or "-BKN", or even "CLR",
(quite correctly, from their standpoint), any deep sky or photo buf seeing the
sky would have just scowled, said "Yuck!", and spit! Those thin, hazy patches of
Cs and Ci were all it took to make the night a very disappointing washout! :(

TODAY'S clouds look nasty, but NWS calls for clearing or partial clearing over
much of Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Connecticut. CRAS agrees that E Mass
should clear some time after midnight. But looking at the REAL satpix and winds
today, I can't help harboring doubts in my little astronomer's soul...

Rain amount was measured over a 24 hour period.

Wind speed and direction are uninstrumented ground estimates.

Medford is 5 miles north and slightly west of Boston, MA.
[lat 42o 25' N  lon 71o 06' W  ele 5m]

[Apologies in advance for crossposting local wxinfo to ASTRO and meteorobs: just
hoping to plug the astroweather idea! :)  We NEED something like this, at least
where I live! :) Thanks, - Lew.]