[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Early Perseids/Eta Perseids

Gary,

I was able to rush out my reports last night and this morning for the nights
of July 16/17 and 17/18.  Hope fully I will be able to enter them into the
computer and email them off to everyone.  I'm going to try to postal mail you
copies of the charts that goes with them today also. My final tally for the
night of July 16/17 is as follows:
15 Perseids, 4 Alpha Capricornids, 3 S. Delta Aquarids, 7 N. Delta Aquarids,
and 45 sporadics.  I came up with 9 Eta Perseid candidates, but 1 is probably
a Perseid.

For the night of July 17/18 my final tally as follows:
9 Perseids, 5 Alpha Capricornids, 4 S. Delta Aquarids, 3 N. Delta Aquarids,
25 Sporadics. I came up with 4 possible Eta Perseid candidates although 3 are
most likely Perseids.

I just went thru my plottings for the previous five years and was surprised
to note nothing obvious coming from the Eta Persei area.  However, nearly all
of my observations during this time were towards the South....the exact
opposite to what I've been observing this month.  The Eta Perseids could be a
"one shot wonder" and be nothing more enduring than that...however, I think
they are worth watching  in coming years as possibilities for awhile...and I
recommend looking towards the north for these observations. It also appears
to be on one night...July 16/17...Hey! might be a wild goose chase, but
there's no harm in following up possible leads. I gotta get my email done and
I will be observing tonight...looking towards the north still.
George Z.