[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs)plot describe count

<< I note a recent change in the meaning of  "meteor count."  In the AMS
there
 have been 3 types of manual meteor recording.  Plotting, we all understand
 this.  Describing is getting meteor data.  Counting is just that: no data,
 just a mental count of the total meteors seen in an hour, or broken down
 into major shower/sporadic.  These are basic terms and ought not be altered.
 People with any inclination to observe, however, should quickly learn to
 describe meteors instead of just counting them.  Casual once-a-year people
 probably should just count

 Norman

-----
Norman,
In IMO and NAMN, there are only two manual methods of meteor
recording...Plotting as you mentioned above and "Counting" which is
apparently the AMS describing method. In Counting, You record all data as you
would a plot except you don't plot. Counting meteors has very little value
without Magnitudes and shower associations as a bare minimum.  I don't
recommend just counting the number of meteors to anyone that is interested in
meteor work..dot beginner or experienced.
George Z.