[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Counting & Plotting

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

There is a natural progression in observing meteors as one gains
experience. The progression should look something like this:

1. Watching
2. Counting
3. Counting & Describing
4. Plotting

We all began as watchers, just enjoying the show without recording
data. Those who remain interested progressed to level 2. Unfortunately
most people do not progress past level 2. Counting can be of value if
shower members are counted separately. We cannot expect people to start
observing at level 3. It takes much practice to learn to describe
meteors accurately. It takes even more practice to progress from level
3 to level 4. In my humble opinion, pushing people to describe or plot
before they have gained the necessary experience is not beneficial. For
this reason, ALPO is a major voice for observers at level 2, while
slowly encouraging them to progress into levels 3 and 4 while adapting
IMO methodologies.

Bob Lunsford

ALPO Meteors Section Recorder