[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Greetings to the Meteor Observers List

Hi folks,

I have been monitoring the list for a week or so, and I felt that
introductions were in order before I responded to any posts.

My name is Jim Richardson, and I live with my wife and two children in the
rural countryside of northwest Florida.  I have been an amateur astronomer
since age 12 (1973), and have been active in meteor science for the last 10
years.  I began observing meteors with Mike Morrow and Meteor Group Hawaii
in 1986.  As a Navy trained nuclear plant Electronics Technician, I also
began working with the group's forward-scatter and back-scatter radio
experiments in meteor detection.

In 1989, I left Hawaii and moved to San Jose, California, where I stayed
through 1991.  While there, I passed through my greatest period of activity
in visual meteor work, collecting data and learning to plot for the AMS,
ALPO, and the IMO.  Over time, however, I became more engrossed in the
development of an automated system for the reliable collection of empirical
data from forward-scatter meteor events.  Sponsored by the AMS, the system
was to be computer based and store data to floppy disk.   The data would
then be analyzed at the University of New York.

In 1992, I moved to Graceville, Florida, where the much better radio
background noise level made it possible to have the system completed,
tested, and operating continuously by early 1993.  That same year I also
lost my eyesight, knocking me out of visual observing for good.  The sight
loss also forced me into a career change, so after rehabilitation, my German
Shepherd guide dog, Usher, and I began attending college full time at Troy
State University.  My goal is to obtain a doctorate in the area of Planetary
Science, possibly geophysics, and pursue my scientific interests on the
professional level.  I have many hurdles and many years of work ahead to
obtain such a goal.

I continue to maintain my forward-scatter system in operation, and Dr.
Meisel and I have a paper or two in the works based upon the first couple of
years of data.  We are also encouraging similar systems  to be set up in
California, under Jim Riggs, and Hawaii, under Mike Morrow.  Both systems
are still under development.

I apologize for giving everyone the biography, but I knew that some of you
knew of me, but didn't know anything about me.  I am pleased to be here and
look forward to corresponding with you.

Take care, everyone,

Jim Richardson
Graceville, FL