[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) plot describe count

>I say cater to the more advance observer and let the beginners learn from
them.

I agree 100% with NAMN catering to the advanced observer. But so everyone
will know, we have never limited membership to just veteran observers. In
fact, one of our goals is to recruit new observers which we have done. But
many of our members do not observe at all, or probably only count numbers of
meteors for the fun of it and don't report it. All of these in my opinion
are fine. Out of this large body of people, a few will come forward and want
to make observations for science. Some have already done that and are making
great progress. So I would have to say that we cater to all interested
parties, whether they only read my newsletter or whether they have a yearly
Teff of 100 hours or more. The key point to all of this is that whoever we
cater to, we are still popularizing the study of meteors, a worthwhile goal!

Beginners learning from the more advanced observers is the best way to go.
But these advanced folks must recognize that there will be different
interest levels, abilities, etc. Therefore, we will see many different
questions of varying difficulty. We will also see many types of reports.
These experienced observers must also be willing to help the beginner, and I
urge all observers, whether members of NAMN, ALPO or IMO, to help out.

>Quality is more important from a few observers than questionable material
>from many.

There must be quality control in the data I archive for NAMN. It must meet
certain requirements. Otherwise, our data will not be compatable with
ALPO's, IMO's or any other group. I have been asked several times by IMO
detractors why this is so important. It's because large amounts of data are
needed to perform an accurate analysis! If NAMN chooses to do it their own
way, they will become isolated and no longer be a major player. (Btw, this
seems to be what has happened to AMS, any AMS'ers out there know what
Meisel's plans are?). So the data that I archive must be complete as George
has mentioned, and not composed of strictly counts on a finger. This doesn't
make 'finger counts' bad. It's a first step, similar to what Bob Lunsford
pointed out earlier.

So where am I leading with all this? The veterans will be out the next clear
night. The NAMN folks 'in training' will be there too. This is for those
folks who haven't taken the plunge yet. Go out the morning of August 12th
and count the number of Perseids you see. Use your fingers, toes, a counter,
or anything you want. Then come back in and tell me what you saw. Post it to
the meteorobs list, or send it to me as private email. While you are out
there, consider if this is something you would like to get more involved in.
If it is, let me know, and I'll help you.

The point is, just get out there and have fun....

Mark Davis