[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) soul & science (was Re: plot describe count)

<< s that there
 are TWO reasons for observing meteors: one is for collecting data (which the
IMO
 method clearly describes the best way of doing), and the other is for the
JOY of
 it! I'd say you probably don't want to do the first without the second  >>
------
Lew,
My initial reasons for NAMN is teaching others  How to Record Meteor Data for
Scientific purposes...not to lay back and watch while in a melancholy mood. I
enjoy meteor observing but for scientific purposes as well.  If anyone wants
to watch with half a heart, they can go to the AMS where they cater to that
frame of mind. Meisel himself has told me that they are primarily interested
in automated radio meteor monitoring and that their visual observing program
is secondary....that's when I declared AMS as being dead. I have no love for
AMS nor sympathy for their stagnation.  I think the primary stumbling block
for a new observer is not whether he likes to observe meteors or not, but to
convince him that they are doing real science.  There is a notion in the
astronomical world that recording meteor data is too easy and that there
isn't anything challenging nor can be gained by it. If you got to convince
someone to look up in the first place, they probably wouldn't do it under any
gradual method you present. You have to convince someone that already has the
natural curiosity to look up beyond the troposphere that there is an
importance and then there is a chance they will continue to record what they
see.  If you have a lazy curiosity you recording attitude will be lazy as
well.
George Z.