[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) AMS (was re: soul & science)

>Are there any 'old' AMS'ers [other than me :)], out there that can explain this
>shift? (Lew...Norman...)

When I first got back involved in meteor observing (all those months ago :>), I
had an extended correspondence with Dr. Meisel: his main focus I think is upon
automating meteor data collection. He seemed to indicate that the focus on
building the radio network at the expense of AMS's visual work was for two
reasons (others feel free to correct this impression, by the way):

1. the radio network envisioned was quite extensive, and the AMS only has/had
time and budget for one major project; and,
2. Dr. Meisel wasn't sure how feasible automated collection of visual data was.

He and I actually had some interesting discussions about ways of automating
submissions of meteor data over the internet - e.g., PDAs with handwriting
recognition and Internet connectivity, automatic scanning of plot charts, and
stuff like that. But I fear the technology and/or folks' budgets are really just
not in a state yet to accommodate this type of automation, unfortunately.

Maybe Tom Ashcraft or Jim Richardsom could provide more feedback on how the
AMS's radio work progressed (or is progressing)? I'm interested, anyway.

Lew