[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) AMS Radiometeor Network

Hi Mark, et al,

The AMS Radiometeor Network currently consists of three stations, in various
stages of completion:

1.  Poplar Springs Station, Florida;

This station has been in continuous operation, with intermittant outages,
since March of 1993.  Total number of events detected is rapidly approaching
1 million, but i haven't done any totals in a while.  Equipment degradation
is beginning to show, and I am making plans for future upgrades.

2.  West Point Station, California;

This station if functioning, and is undergoing final adjustments and
calibrations.  Once we are happy with the parameters, "hands off" data
collection will begin in earnest.

3.  Kahe Point Station, hawaii;

Attempts to locate a permanent site for the receiver location are still
ongoing.  The receiving equipment was built by Meteor Group hawaii, and has
been tested, along with antenna systems.  Radioscatter data from Hawaii is
interesting because it most closely approaches the back-scatter situation.

We have corrosponded with other interested parties, but none, as yet, have
dedicated themselves to the effort.  Thomas is not part of the effort,
although he is quite welcome.

The AMS can provide technical, software, and some limited hardware support.
The station operator, however, bears the main brunt for funding the station,
and this is a stumbling block towards recruiting new stations.  The initial
startup of my own station was completely funded by myself.

I am the AMS Radiometeor Project Coordinator, and i am happy with the steady
progress we have made in three years.  As i mentioned previously, the first
papers based upon the work are under development.

TAke care,

Jim Richardson
Graceville, FL
Richardson@DigitalExpdot com