[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) soul & science (was Re: plot describe count)

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

George,   You Wrote:
> Yes...but he will be concentrating on the right things to practice
and
> learn on rather than learning the wrong things to only find out that
he
> was duped from the beginning.  It would irritate the heck out of me
> practice hard on something and then find out it wasn't what they
wanted
> from the beginning. I would want to learn the right method from the
> beginning....even if practice is needed to perfect it.

George, I do not see the right verses wrong connection here. We all
agree that prospective observers should use the NAMN method of
recording meteors. What was stated was that a NEW observer would have
difficulty learning everything during the first watch.  A logical
sequence would be :

1st)   Learn to record time, shower association, and estimating LM's

2nd)  Meteor magnitudes and speed estimates

3rd)  Estimate path lengths, durations, and practice plotting

Naturally, observers would progress at their own pace with some taking
many sessions before producing reliable results. To expect a novice to
master all of these categories all at once would be very difficult and
perhaps a bit formidable.

Bob