[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Possible Xi Perseid Radiant

   When talking of other Perseid radiants a while back, I mentioned that
I saw a radiant in early August at the Stellafane convention a couple years
ago, but wasn't more specific. I have found that data and now can be more
specific. The radiant is near Xi Persei, not Chi Persei. I emphasize this
because Bob Lunsford, the ALPO meteors section recorder mistakenly thought
I meant Chi Persei (Xi looks like X, similar to the Greek letter for Chi).
Anyway, I was rained out for confirmation last year; so this is the year to
look again for this radiant.

   On August 5/6 1994 I saw seven Perseid like meteors (fast) coming from
a radiant near the star Xi Persei. That is at: RA 3 hrs 58 mins, DEC +36 deg.
(epoch 2000). Six of these were seen in only 45 minutes between 7:11 and
7:55 UT. The next night I saw one from this radiant while casually observing
on at the Porter Turret Telescope. Of course, during this whole time I saw
more regular Perseids from the normal radiant, but saw eight meteors total
coming from this possible new radiant.

G.W. Gliba