[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) The AMS

Hi Jim, thanks for the detailed report on the activities of the AMS.
Although I have been a member for many years, some of what you wrote was new
to me.

You mentioned that while Dr. Olivier was still heading the group that other
techniques replaced visual observing. Does this mean AMS will now ignore
this technique completely, other than the reports in METEOR NEWS and the
annual report?

You also correctly report a lack of funding for U.S. professional meteor
work. NASA has realized the potential of utilizing the grassroots support of
amateurs and others as evidenced by their massive presence on the world wide
web. The ALPO Mars section has close ties with the professional community,
an arrangement that has benefitted both groups. The meteor community, as you
mention, has 'not had time' or 'lacked funding' to develop ties with the
amateur observers. Therefore, I am forced to go to my overseas friends for
help. How was Dr. Olivier able to carry out such an extensive amateur
network while others are not? Also, there are groups that operate with no
funding at all, the NAMN being an example.

I do not feel "AMS is an impediment" to my activities as I have maintained
my membership for over 10 years, still send reports in on their forms, and
in the past supported METEOR NEWS as well as AMS with monetary donations,
indexing of articles and the writing of articles. However, to "save meteor
science in the USA from itself AND PROFESSIONAL NEGLECT" I have turned to
ALPO and IMO.

Mark Davis