[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) AMS Radiometeor Network

Hi Mark,

At 07:03 PM 7/26/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks Jim...the Meteor Group Hawaii I believe is Michael Morrow. Is that
>correct?

The project is being put together by the 4-6 (my guess) members of Meteor
Group Hawaii, with Mike Morrow in charge.

Who is at West Point Station?

This is a singular effort by Jim Riggs.

>Also, what's a rough estimate of costs to start from scratch a 24-hour
>monitoring station?

This depends a lot upon what equipment the person might already have on
hand, and what they might be able to build themselves.  Using modest radio
equipment, my rough guess would be between $1000 and $2000.  Using top
quality equipment could more than double this cost.

The only portion of the station which is standardized is the computer
system, using a very enhanced Apple IIe as the platform.  We can offer
limited help in obtaining this equipment, and the software is my own.

The receiver system is up to the operator  to put together, and this is
genrally the most difficult part.  Band surveys must first be done to find
the right frequency and receiver location.  Then the correct antenna,
transmission lines, filters, preamplifiers, and receiver must all be brought
together.  Like first light on a homebuilt telescope (which i have also
done), that first unmistakable meteor echo sure sounds good.

Rural locations work the best, and suburban/urban locations may prove
impossible.  All of my attempts in San Jose, CA, generated only
sophisticated airplane detectors.

The best persons for this type of work are those with a combined meteor
astronomy, radio electronics, and computer use background.  As Chris can
testify, the number of amateurs doing this type of work worldwide is still
fairly small.

Take care, everyone,

Jim Richardson
Graceville, FL