[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Plotting During Major Showers

Plotting does help you learn the constellations (IMHO). 'specially if you
get some slow nights, where you can take the 20 minutes between meteors to
learn constellation details. It takes some effort to learn the fainter ones,
 including the fainter stars around the edges of bright constellations, but
these are essential for doing accurate (NAMN cat 1) plots. Until I did that,
 I rated all my plots as 2's(If it would have been a 3, I was generally too
confused to even attempt plotting it at that time). Now that I've acqired
some of the faint star background, some of the plots I rate as 1's. Not all
yet...sometimes the brain can't find the reference stars on the charts
before the stored details start to leak out my ears :-)
Wayne
-------------
Original Text
From GeoZay@aoldot com, on 7/30/96 11:49 AM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

<< >As for Camelopardalis...that's got to be the black hole of calcutta...

 Funny, I haven't had a problem with plotting meteors in that area! Mainly
thanks
 to the nice bright, well-oriented constellations around it: Cas, UMa, UMi,
Dra,
 Cep, all provide me with a pretty good yard-stick for my plots.

 By the way, Bob, I second Mark's question about how you learned the sky so
well!

 Lew

-------
As for plotting in Camel land Lew...that's how I do it...use the
well-oriented constellations around it for alignment.

As to how Bob learned the sky so well?...Well, looks like the truth is
out...I taught Bob everything he knows....ha.ha.ha....no not really....the
legend has it that he was "born on a mountain top in Tennessee".....etc.
Actually...probably constantly doing it. A lot of repetition from plotting
kinda helps you find things in the sky...more so than "Counting". Any
insight
into that Bob?
George Z.