[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

Lew Gramer suggested I send in a message introducing myself.

I developed an interest in astronomy when I was young but abandoned
this interest over time.  I reawakened this interest in the fall of
1992 -- at age 36.  I started out learning the constellations with the
unaided eye and was given a good pair of binoculars for Christmas that
year.  I continue to use only binoculars or the unaided eye, though I
enjoy peeping through the eyepieces of other peoples's telescopes.

I was fortunate to have seen exceptional Perseid showers in 1993 and
1994 from a dark site near Tulsa, Oklahoma.  These experiences have
made me very fond of meteor observing -- I think observing meteors is
the funnest part of amateur astronomy for me -- sitting in the great
outdoors, relaxed, perhaps carrying on pleasant conversation with a
friend (well, alright, yes I've sat out on January 4 early in the
morning in 12 degree temperatures freezing my tail off too . . . I
just prefer to dwell on the positive experiences), and seeing a sudden
meteor.  I try to observe several showers, though I have only been
consistently serious about observing the Perseid shower.  Last year I
had fairly good fun watching the Delta Aquarids and Capricornids in
the last weekend in July.

I had set up a radio meteor observing system but have not restored
this system to operation since moving to the Dallas, Texas area
(McKinney, Texas, about 35 miles north of Dallas) last October.  I may
set it up for operation before the upcoming Perseid shower.  It is
reasonably portable, and I could take it to the park from which I
intend to view the shower.  It would be somewhat amusing, I think, for
some of the other observers I'll be observing with.

I look forward to listening in and sharing in the conversation in this
mailing list.

Regards,
Michael Hann
a0198616@htisrv.dseg.tidot com