[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Levy

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

George, You wrote:

> yes he is very involved...money making...which I don't fault him for
that.
> But you would think there would be a degree of loyalty to his fellow
> amateurs?  At least this is the image he tries to portray publically.
It
> was interesting about how he didn't want ALPO to use his meteor
observing
> guide booklet for free anymore...or something like that?  Lunsford
knows
> more about that. Can you straighten me out on this story Bob?

I did not want to get into this, but I know George has aroused your
curiosity so I will make it short.

The ALPO Meteors Section HAD a handbook written by Levy and Edberg.
During the 93 ALPO conference in Las Cruces NM Levy asked me in person
if I was satisfied with the handbook and I replied that I was. I later
found out that Levy was finishing his new book about that time. Anyway
a few months later I get a call from the Astronomical League who
publishes our handbooks telling me that the meteors handbook is out of
stock and that Levy has refused permission for any reprints. Needless
to say, that put me in quite a bind and forced me to produce an
elementary handbook at breakneck speed. ENOUGH SAID!

Bob