[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) What was it?

Andrew, well a quick look at the showers active at that time, with what you
could see from Vermont revealed no likely candidates. The Southern Delta
Aquarids are an outside possibility, but rates that high would seem
unlikely(ZHR on 7/30 peak is only 20, and the radiant would be very close
to the horizon, reducing rates by 80% or so anyway), and they would be more
towards due south at that hour. Unfortunatly, we were clouded in NJ for
those days, my last clear skies were July 19/20 and 20/21.
It could have been just a series of sporadics. I'll note it and look next
year if it's clear...anyone else up toward new england (hint...hint) get
out those nights? I believe the clouds stopped around the NY/Conn
border.
	Wayne
-------------
Original Text
From "Andrew G. Bacchi" <bacchia@sparrow.csc.vscdot edu>, on 7/30/96 2:53 PM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

Hello all,

Thanks for the warm welcome from many of you.  I've corrected the address
now.  Here is one of those elementary questions you enjoy so much.  On
the nights of July 22/23 and 23/24 at aprox. 3:30 am, I found myself
watching what seemed to be a meteor shower.  On each night I counted 8
meteor streaks in less than an hour.  They seemed to be coming from the
east southeast, a little north of the Pliedes, and about 25o above the
hidden horizon. (mountains and trees in Vermont are common)

What was I seeing?  I know this is not a scientific description of the
radient, but for now it's the best I can do.  Thanks and hello again.

Andrew G. Bacchi
Vax System Manager
Castleton State College

visit my web page at: http://www.csc.vscdot edu/~bacchia/andrew.htm