[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Distance to Observing site

<< If you have to drive 45 minutes to a dark sky site, then when a cloudy
evening
 comes along, you are a whole lot less likely to stay up and wait it out, to
see
 if its worth the drive after midnight. On the other hand, with a ten minute
 drive to a less-than-perfect site, you can set your alarm for the wee hours,
and
 if the skies have cleared, you might get in one or more good hours!

-------
Lew,
A cloudy evening at home usually has no bearing as to what the cloud cover
will look like at mine and Bob's observing site.  It is normally cloudy along
the coast shortly after sunset...unless a Santa Ana wind condition
develops...and usually clear up in the mountains...at least by 10pm.
Sometimes we get a storm front that moves in from the north or south to throw
things out of kelter.  Once I drive out at the site, I usually have all
expectations of staying all night...cloudy or not...just in case it does
clear up.  I figure I use the same amount of gas driving home under cloudy
skies as I would under clear skies in the morning.  Sometimes it does clear
up a few hours prior to sunrise when you think the night is a total loss.
Just got to have a little persistence.
George Z.