[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Plotting During Major Showers

<< I only count about 45 seconds per plotted meteor as "dead time" (time with
my
 eyes off the sky). But the actual time spent recording the non-plot info
(esp.
 listening for or checking the time), noting nearby star patterns and
distances,
 and then getting flashlight and pen in hand without looking is a whole lot
more!
 If a meteor happens while this long process is going on, some kind of
cognitive
 dissonance occurs, I get flustered, and that first meteor becomes a no-plot.
:(

----
Lew,
The Dead time is actually in reference to when you are looking down to write
the non-plot data and doing the actual plot itself combine. Now, when I have
my parachute cord lined up with a just seen meteor's path, I keep that cord
as still as I can and actually look around to see just exactly where I am and
what major star the cord passes thru or by.  All the while, you are still
looking at the sky...which isn't dead time yet...I then analyze what
magnitude, apparent speed and any trains.  I get a real careful image in my
mind for a start and stop point the meteor made in relation to the stars.
 Once I get this pretty well entrenched in my mind, I write down the
magnitude, speed, color, train duration and then time immediately in this
sequence....afterwards I do the plot using a straight edge to keep the
meteors straight...otherwise you might make a slight arc. for a meteor that
originated from a distant radiant this is important. It's possible that drawn
back to the radiant, you might miss the radiant enough to not include it as a
certain shower member.  Sometimes while I'm looking up to get my bearings
from a meteor, I will see another meteor...immediately things get
complicated. Sometimes a third will show up and panic begins to set in. You
just record what you know for sure.  It's possible that the other additional
metoers may have incomplete data or even a non-plot...perhaps enough memory
to realize that it wasn't a certain shower member.  Anyhow, this happens just
about every night I observe at one time or another. You just do the best you
can and don't worry if you miss something...once you realize you are lacking,
don't be afraid to call it a sporadic.  Chances are if it is of a known
radiant, you will notice this almost right off.
George Z.