[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Levy (was Re: meteorobs-digest V1 #73)

>I do not know David Levy personally, but I am surprised to read that he
>did nothing for a section of ALPO.  I was under the impression that Levy
>was more attentive than this when it came to amateur work.  Or am I just
>learning the too human reality about yet another astronomer "hero"?

David is not here to defend himself, so will not get too involved (yea
right). But he was only attentive to Levy work, and would step on you, me or
the ALPO to futher the cause of Levyism. He did nothing for the meteors
section (other than the earlier handbook that Bob mentioned) and would not
step down to allow someone with more interest to take over. If he was
involved in meteors, where are his observations? Must be in his file cabinet
at home!

George, don't feel too bad about his not responding to you. He never
responded to me either. After many letters being unanswered, I finally asked
him why he didn't write back. That finally got a response. He resigned and
in a letter to the ALPO journal, complained about how he was tired of
impatient amateurs. I took that as a compliment, as it was the first time I
got published in a journal!   :>

And George, I think you are in error about the comet being his and
Shoemaker's. Wasn't it Shoemaker that discovered it, and Levy the one that
brought the donuts? But he is good at riding coat tails....

And Lew, Levy is "deeply" involved in astronomy, especially the world-wide
speaking tour... :)

This time for real, ENOUGH SAID.

Mark Davis