[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Semi-automatic plotting

----------
> From: Mark Davis <MeteorObs@Charlestondot net>
> To: meteorobs@latradedot com
> Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Semi-automatic plotting
> Date: Tuesday, July 30, 1996 9:36 PM
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Welcome to the list. I hope to see you more often here. Also thanks for
> posting your idea about the semi-automatic plotter. Below are some
> "brainstorming" notes:
>
> Cost would be a major factor...by "luggable" computer I am guessing you
mean
> a lap top which are somewhat expensive.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a laptop.  If you have power at your
site you can get an old 386 machine almost for free.  Even laptops can be
had in the $400 range (admittedly not insignificant).

I would bet the thing can be built (sans computer) for ~$100

> How accurate are today's encoders? Would it need aligning on 2 or more
stars
> several times during a session?

Encoders are probably a lot more accurate than inaccuracies involved in
seeing a point in the sky and marking it down on a chart.  You should be
able to routinely get within 1/4 degree.  The inaccuracy generally comes
from the altitude and azmuith axes not being perfectly square.

You should only need 2 star alignment once.

> Might not be possible year round due to cold. Some of us observe all
year,
> no matter what the temps, possibly creating a computer problem.

Agreed, could be a problem

> What would be the apparent and actual field of the finder? If it's too
> large, the plots would not be accurate enough. Too small, and can't see
nothing.

I was talking about a zero-power finder like a telrad.  Your field of view
is the whole sky.

> The idea sounds interesting, and I suggest you continue to investigate
it.
> The above are just some things off the top of my head.

Thanks for the comments.  I will probably just mull this over for a while
as I learn to record "the old fashioned way".