[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Technology Advantage

Wayne and Marji,

Good points.  The display problem may be remmedied by using an active
matrix type display.  A bit more expensive, but worth it.  The upcoming
technology will cure this problem.  The DEW problem is a bit more
difficult to fix, IMHO.  Many manufacturers have already considered this
and taken steps to make keyboards water resistant.  However they can't
make it perfect, yet.  I have ruined a keyboard in this way (coffee).

An appliance in the way of a small recorder without a keyboard, or CPU as
we know them, may be the way to go.  Sort of like an extension of the
computer while the CPU lies saftely in the car.  In fact, why not connect
directly to a CCD imager mounted on a tripod?  This would leave your
hands and eyes free to enjoy.  Who knows shat will be.

Marji,

Your reply just came in while I was replying to Wayne.  You make some
valid points regarding future tech.  The software can be done fairly soon
using existing libraries.  The plotting algos are accessible as are
imaging algos.  Why am I not doing it?  I guess I have to concentrate,
for now, on graduation next May.  At 50 years old, I am a little behind
in my education.

Anyone else have thoughts?

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996 wayne.t.hally@bangate1.tekdot com wrote:

> 	I've considered using a laptop when I purchase one shortly, but my
> biggest fear is DEW. I've come in from observing with my sleeping bag
> soaked enough to squeeze water out of, and my plotting charts so wet that
> pencil points rip it if I'm not very careful. And that's with them covered,
> and on a heat source (my body). I wonder how long a keyboard will survive
> under those conditions. Another concern would be the display. Many laptop
> displays slow or stop functioning in severe cold. Of course, If you have
> Wayne

Andrew G. Bacchi
Vax System Manager
Castleton State College