[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Plotting During Major Showers

<< 	During my next (Perseid) vacation, I'll be constructing a plotting
 platform something like what George uses, with multiple clipboards for the
 plotting charts, and recording form. Hope to have several string attached
 pencils, a straitedge, and Red light to keep everything handy. Stopwatch
 too.
 After all, I've learned some things in my training period, like how you can
 lose all seven of the pencils that you have, and how fast plotting charts
 can move if they get away!
 Wayne
 - >>
Wayne,
It's very important to have several sharpened pencils on hand...I keep a fist
ful in the observatory as a back up and usually keep 2 or 3 up on top while
actually observing. I usually use at least 2 pencils during the coarse of the
nite.  The first one will always get dull and it feels better to use a sharp
one by the early morning hours.

You mentioned making a clip board similar to the one I use during the
Perseids.  I would like to suggest that you use your tape recorder to record
the Perseids...keep paper and pencil handy in case the recorder takes a dive.
I just bought another recorder two days ago..dot because I thought my old one
was broken....the record button wouldn't go down.  It was only after I bought
my new one that I discovered that I had one of my daughter's tape that had
some album on it and it was designed to not erase over...thus I couldn't
record.  Now I have two recorders...Kinda thinking about leaving the cheaper
one in the observatory as a back up...but it has a radio and sure would like
to have that in my room at work...have to think on this one.
George Z.